Current:Home > InvestX, formerly Twitter, tests charging new users $1 a year to use basic features -Capitatum
X, formerly Twitter, tests charging new users $1 a year to use basic features
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 14:13:17
X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, announced Tuesday it is testing out a subscription model in which it will charge new users $1 a year to use basic features.
The social media giant said it was launching its "Not a Bot" annual subscription method in New Zealand and the Philippines as a test run. Existing users will not be impacted during the test.
"This will evaluate a potentially powerful measure to help us combat bots and spammers on X, while balancing platform accessibility with the small fee amount," X said, adding that the charge won't be a "profit driver."
Users who create new accounts will verify their account with their phone number and then pay $1 USD. They will then be able to use key features like posting, liking, replying to, reposting, bookmarking and quoting posts. New users who opt out of the subscription will be relegated to "read only" functions, such as reading posts, watching videos and following accounts, according to X.
The announcement aligns with previous remarks from X owner Elon Musk, who took over the platform in 2022. Last month, Musk said he was considering charging a "small monthly payment" to use X during a live-streamed conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying at the time the fee would be meant to keep bots off the platform. At the same event, Musk said X has 550 million monthly users that generate 100 million to 200 million posts a day.
Earlier this year, Musk also imposed temporary daily limits on posts users can view to, he said, "address extreme levels of data scraping & system manipulation."
Currently, X has a premium subscription service, charging users for certain features, including being able to edit a post and having prioritized rankings in conversations and search. Pricing for the service starts at $8 a month.
- In:
- Elon Musk
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (685)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend reading, listening and viewing
- 'Fleishman Is in Trouble' is a Trojan horse for women's stories, says Lizzy Caplan
- How Stokely Carmichael and the Black Panthers changed the civil rights movement
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- A showbiz striver gets one more moment in the spotlight in 'Up With the Sun'
- It's easy to focus on what's bad — 'All That Breathes' celebrates the good
- Michelle Yeoh is the first Asian woman to win best actress Oscar
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- After 30+ years, 'The Stinky Cheese Man' is aging well
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- A full guide to the sexual misconduct allegations against YouTuber Andrew Callaghan
- Is the U.S. government designating too many documents as 'classified'?
- Restrictions On Drag Shows Have A History In The U.S.
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 2023 Oscars Guide: International Feature
- Gustavo Dudamel's new musical home is the New York Philharmonic
- The real-life refugees of 'Casablanca' make it so much more than a love story
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
The lessons of Wayne Shorter, engine of imagination
Look out, Nets rivals! Octogenarian Mr. Whammy is coming for you
'A Room With a View' actor Julian Sands is missing after he went on a hike
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
'All the Beauty in the World' conveys Met guard's profound appreciation for art
What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend reading, listening and viewing
Roberta Flack's first piano came from a junkyard – five Grammys would follow